Vanguard Business School (VBS) is an institution for quality multi-disciplinary research in contemporary Indian business scenario. VBS aims to stand against the scarcity of academic inquiry into many of India’s leading business and management issues. The infrastructure for research is now under establishment to support quality research activity. Collaborations are being sought and developing apace, with academic institutions and private sector partners worldwide to engage on global research projects.
Research is the process of advancing knowledge created in the past. Research has a multifaceted and integrated purpose of improving understanding, knowledge and scope. The creation of appropriate knowledge through research and the intelligent application of such new knowledge work as an engine of growth and success in any educational institutes in long run. Research must be initiated to expand the horizons of knowledge for practical application. The involvement of faculty in research, training and consulting gives a holistic approach to the teaching which thus results in ‘teaching with a difference’.
- Researchers are better at teaching higher order skills.
- Research oriented faculty explores the latest development and ideas in their respective fields. This helps in updating one’s knowledge and more importantly incorporating these ideas into one’s teaching.
- Faculty engaging in research is better at teaching with more specialized knowledge which is true for Business Schools. In the growing complexity of business world, the cutting-edge knowledge of research faculty is more relevant in “real world” applications.
- Faculty research could provide “motivational quality” to teaching if researchers inspire or intimidate students into providing moreeffort. Researchers could teach students not to become passive consumers of knowledge. In addition, researchers could serve as role models, because, in a way, they continue to be students themselves.
- This in turn will also help students to engage actively in research too under the able guidance of faculty members.
- The competitive forces in the education services market appear to reward the research reputations of institutions far more than they reward their teaching reputations.